Monday, 29 December 2008

Mayor in "horse shame"


The mayor of Margate, Cllr Ryan Sullivan, was this week dubbed "a mare" after he was spotted riding a horse in Dane Park.

Mother-of-two Penelope Atkins was walking her two children and cats when he heard horse hooves heading towards her at a "shocking rate".

The 19-year-old said: "I just couldn't believe my ears and then when I turned around I couldn't believe my eyes. There he was just riding a horse without a care in the world. I quickly turned to my son Jackney and told him to get down on the floor in the recovery position and close his eyes."

It wasn't long before Ramsgate mayor, May Dark, turned up sporting a ribbon and roaring "Happy New Year" to anyone who would listen.

"Fallen asleep"

Dog walker and keen gardener Alf Bishop was pruning a cactus when the Dark crept up on him.

The 72-year-old said: "At first I just thought I'd fallen asleep for a bit but then I checked my watch and realised that in fact this was not the case. I turned and suddenly I realised I had been enveloped by a huge mayoral cape to which I had not agreed to."

"isolated"

Police say they are currently investigating the matter but cautioned anyone considering a trip to their nearest park.

Inspector Rod Steel said: "This is a completely isolated incident and at this time of year with Christmas over and nothing else for mayors to do other than smile they frequently turn to dramatic and sensational means to get column inches. I would assure you that mayor attacks are not on the increase and indeed over the last year we have seen a substantial fool."

0 comments:

Post a Comment